I'm such a Pinterest junkie, you know? I mean, I love trolling the site, pinning stuff, creating new boards - oh, and heaven help me if they actually ever come out with a mobile app because my family may never see me again. I saw this awesome tutorial online for a DIY Mason Jar Pump and had to try it.
Pint size mason jar
Empty soap dispenser with pump
E6000 glue, or similar
Fabric and/or ribbon
Drill with step bit
Craft knife or scissors
I enlisted the help of Mr. Juggling Act, who used a drill bit, and tin snips to get the shape right. He said that it would be much easier with a step drill bit... whatever that is... anyhow, the result was a little less than perfectly clean looking, which meant that I was going to need to get creative to make it look pretty.
To 'install' the pump piece, I cut an old empty plastic soap dispenser (mine happened to be Softsoap and which worked perfectly) just below the threads. Then I used my handy E6000 glue to stick it through the lid piece. Be sure not to glue the pump piece, just the treads! The glue should cure for 24 hours to be on the safe side.
Not being a sewer, I didn't have any fabric around, so instead I used a onesie that Olivia had outgrown. I cut a piece a little less than 1/2" larger than the cover, then I cut a whole in the middle to line up with the whole for the threads/pump. I used a think layer of of E6000 glue on the cover before I lined up the fabric. Let this sit for another 24 hours.
Finally, fill your mason jar with whatever you want to dispense - We have hand sanitizer everywhere in our house, so that's what mine is filled with. Add the cover and hand, then screw in the pump and you're done.